Monday, October 13, 2014

My Writing Life and Getting Ready for Number 3

Some of my blog followers have asked about how I started writing. When I "retired" in 2009, I knew I wanted to do something different. I had already put in years of volunteer leadership in the Jewish world and though I  immediately found some new volunteer gigs (teaching English as a second language to Chinese Seniors, and volunteering as a tutor in an Oakland grade school) I needed to find something else that would be meaningful and stimulating.

I thought I might like to try creative writing and searched on the internet for classes. By chance  I found a writing workshop which met on Thursday mornings near Lake Merritt, Lakeshore Writers They had an opening and I signed up. I was nervous.

 What  was I even thinking that me, a 59 year old, could start creative writing at my age. Though  I  had written endless term papers as a history major, I had done almost no creative writing. However I had a vivid imagination. As a child, my sister and I put on elaborate plays for our parents on Saturday afternoons. I was the ringleader of great backyard adventures; playing pirates, stagecoach and whatever else I could cook up.

At the first session, the facilitator, Teresa Burns, explained  that during the two and half hour class, we would write three times using the  Amherst method. This meant we would write to prompts then read what we we had written and the participants would  discuss the positive aspects of what they liked in the writing. There were eight of us and I was the oldest.   I remember the first prompt... we were supposed to write about hair. At first I panicked, then I settled in. I could write a piece based on  my daughter Elana's  mane of wild hair which had a life of its own.

I was hooked.from the first class. I knew this was what I meant to do. I loved  the workshop and repeated it  many times. My  fellow writers, some of whom I wrote with repeatedly, were amazing, and I  still remember their writing voices. I learned that every writer has a distinct voice layered with personal experience and their history that infuses their fictional writing.

 I have taken other writing classes in San Francisco and Berkeley through OLLI, Osher Lifelong Learning in memoir, poetry and screenwriting.

I began writing intensively  in my free time and discovered the world of  writing contests and on-line publishing and started sending my short stories, poetry and non-fiction all over. I  have had a number of pieces published and to be sure have received my share of rejection notices as well. I have had to learn to just get over the rejections and keep at it.


 What I have realized is that since becoming a "writer", and you should know it is not easy to call myself a writer, is that I have developed a sixth sense.  I have become an observer of people and mannerisms. I tune in to random conversations at the market or on a BART train.

 I often go back in my memory and conjure up the images of my childhood ... our beloved neighbor  handing me poppies over our splintery fence,.my mother's old O'Keefe and Merritt stove in our sunny kitchen, the beauty of the magenta rhododendrons at Golden Gate Park,  lazy summer afternoons in Calistoga. These kaleidoscope images pop up in my stories and poetry.

Ironically my current health situation will  give me much to write about. I have already sent away two new poems to a literary magazine.

OK...so I've been stalling. My number 3 chemo is coming  up this Tuesday. The only thing I know for sure is that receiving chemo is like being on a runaway roller coaster with constant ups and downs . Because my resistance is lower, I am very susceptible to little viruses and this round  I had a slight cold and a mild stomach thing.  Because I'm constantly thirsty, our Indian summer hot weather was not pleasant. Basically I figured out that chemo leaves one delicate and vulnerable.

When I have a good day,  as I have said in previous blogs, I am truly grateful. What a lesson I am learning...   to treasure life day by and good health. My two local grandsons, Elijah and Shaya are still my biggest cheerleaders and no matter how crappy I feel they make me feel better.

Thanks to all of you for sticking with me as I navigate this bumpy road. I treasure your cards, emails and messages.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your writing journey with us and keeping us posted on your experiences with this nasty disease. Hope today was a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheri. It was a very good day!

    ReplyDelete