Sunday, December 14, 2014

Another unexpected twist; and looking forward to tomorrow

This Tuesday I will hopefully have my seventh chemo treatment, with only one remaining. I say "hopefully" because my detour took an unexpected twist last week when I came down with pneumonia. Fortunately it was caught early and I am doing much better. I know I am better because I went out shopping today and got some things in preparation for Chanukah.

This afternoon I took out all my Chanukah decorations and put them up in the family room and dining room. I have stuff from years ago though some years if there were no kids around, Jeff and I didn't bother to put anything up. This will be a special Chanukah. We will have all five of our grandchildren in one place. Oops I forgot that having, their parents,  my three daughters and their husbands all together, our whole family, will be the best present for me and Jeff.

 We have not seen the three grandchildren from Israel for almost a year.That is a very long time not to see the children, as we were supposed to be there for Rosh Hashanah but had to cancel.  With Skype, we see them often and amazingly we feel very close with them as they do with us. Atara called us before they left for the airport and she was bubbling with excitement.

Normally they stay with us first and then move to their Palo Alto grandparents. This time they are going there first and will be with us for Shabbat if I'm OK.

Tomorrow morning they arrive with their (hero) dad, my son in law, Andy on a Jet Blue flight. Believe me, it is not easy to work and get three children where they need to be. Devora had sitters lined up and friends to help and meals prepared, but Andy, their Abba, is amazing.

 Devora, who arrived ten days ago, wanted to have some time with me.  She was a real comfort when I had some tough days. She has a very spiritual, comforting way about her and knew the right words to soothe her mom who needed extra TLC.

It is not uncommon to catch something while you are on chemo as your are very susceptible with your white cell count compromised. My oncology nurse gave me the rules when we first met. If I were to get a fever, I had to call in to the office immediately. They don't fool around.

Last Tuesday night I had a low fever but my Wednesday morning it was higher and I had an annoying dry cough. When I called in she said, "I hate to tell you this, but you have to go to the ER." I couldn't believe it...not again. As I said before, I was healthy before I got cancer, never in the ER or the hospital. I asked Robin, my wonderful oncology nurse, does everyone get all the complications I have had. She said "no." I know there is a lesson in all this for me which is that I really am not in control of my situation.

Jeff and I got ready and headed to UCSF on Parnassus. I was not a happy camper thinking I would have to stay overnight. I packed a few things. The skies were gray, laden with the huge rain storm that was coming which we had been hearing about for days. I didn't say much on the ride over. Jeff would take my hand. This has been a tough four months just as much for him as me.

 The young doctor who checked me sent for a chest X-Ray. He did not hear the pneumonia but the radiologist saw it on the X-ray. Fortunately because I was not looking too bad I was sent home with the antibiotics.

He was very strict though that I had to see my own doctor in Oakland to be re-checked at the end of the week, and if I did not get better to head straight to the hospital. Oy....I went home, got in to bed. Thursday was the perfect day to stay home with the pounding rain that went on all day. After two days I started to feel much better. I am getting sick of tea and honey.

I am hoping that Tuesday is a "go." If I were betting, I would say it will be. In the mean time I am very excited to go to the airport tomorrow to see my crew. Devora has missed them a lot but I do think she has also  enjoyed her quiet time to read, pray and do Feldenkreis and all the things she enjoys.

Wishing everyone a  great holiday season...I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment