Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Simulation

I drove myself over to UCSF early Tuesday morning. It was crisp and clear after the rains. New construction dotted the skyline giving my beloved dowager, old San Francisco, a facelift. l sang along to an old Barry Manilow cd which kept me cheered up. This is the beginning of the final phase of my treatment. As I was driving, I had one of  my moments which hits me every so often. Cancer treatment can be overwhelming and I have to remind myself to be strong and that I will get through this last part. Radiation is not supposed to be as difficult as chemotherapy with comparaitively minimal side effects. I will hope for the best.

The purpose of radiation according to the brochure I have read three times is that it kills any remaining cancer cells "by causing the production of "free radicals". This process changes the DNA of cancer cells and prevents them from reproducing. The cancer cells die when they can no longer multiply and the body naturally eliminates them. This is another important step in my treatment plan.

I found a place to park and was early enough to go downstairs to the cafe to get a Peet's mocha. I suppose it is silly to be nervous but that is how I felt. I drank half of my mocha, pitched the rest and headed to the elevator to take me to the radiology department in the basement.

I signed in and worked on a crossword puzzle for ten minutes in the waiting area then was brought in to meet the doctor. She was friendly, we chatted for a few moments then she quickly took me through some important paperwork. I had to sign four different releases regarding my treatment. Then I was taken to a changing room and put on a gown. After a short wait in another waiting area, I was ushered in to a coolish room with a number of imposing machines where I met the technician, Fritz. My doctor brought me a welcome warm blanket.

 The tech's job was to get me precisely positioned then  give me some permanent tiny marks like dots which will aid the technicians so that my radiation is given every time in the precisely correct area. I was placed on my back on a narrow table, knees raised  and arms overhead. I was jostled back and forth  re-positioned and had to lie still which is not easy for me. Eventually the technician made a special pillow to support my neck. It took around forty minutes and was rather uncomfortable but not painful.

The doctor kept coming in and checking on what the technician was doing . A machine swept over me to take measurements. After the technician was done with the measuring and marking I felt several pokes with a needle which left me with several tattoos...just tiny dots (no butterflies darn!). The doctor and technician said I did a "good job" though I am not sure what they really meant.

As I was leaving the room, the technician confirmed for me again what I had previously heard. My radiation oncologist is considered to be one of the five best in the United States and is also known for being extremely kind and having a great bedside manner. Once again our decision to stick with UCSF despite the hassle of having to get to the city seems to be the right one, and I was in the best hands.

The final part of the preparation for the radiation was a cat scan.  I was set up in a different room but  positioned exactly as I had been before. It will be the results of the previous measurements and cat scan which will give my doctor the information about where the radiation needs to be
directed, and she will devise her treatment plan working with a physicist and dosimetrist. Next week I will come back for a test run before the radiation will start. My treatments will be five days a week for five weeks.

I'm feeling well, starting to attend events again and look forward to a visit from my brother and family from Los Angeles this weekend. They have been tremendously supportive to me over these last months and I am really excited to see them My sister-in-law Judy, a surgeon herself, called me  every few days to check on me. She has told me that  my experiences have given  her insights on cancer treatment from a patient's perspective. I'm cooking up a storm as my daughters and their families will be joining us for a huge Shabbat lunch.

I'm still waiting (going on three weeks) for  Covered California to inform Anthem I am a woman, not a man. I have called about this to Covered CA maybe four times and Anthem at least five times. I wish things like this wouldn't get me aggravated but they do. I wish I could say I have changed and little stuff doesn't bother me.  I'm working on it...I have a long way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment