Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Last Treatment-Ringing the Bell

This morning I drove myself to Mt. Zion for my final radiation treatment, #25. I was nervous though I don't know why and woke up at 3:30AM not able to go back to sleep.On the drive over, I was idly counting the number of trips I have made to San Francisco and UCSF for my doctor appointments, lab tests, surgery, follow ups, chemo and radiation and it got up to fifty.

Wow, this "detour" has been more than I could have ever imagined. It was good I did not know the whole picture because it would have been overwhelming. Some parts went better than expected like my surgery and the radiation while the chemo was really difficult. The AC part which they call the "red death" lived up to its name and the side effects were brutal.

What has been amazing is how quickly the five weeks of radiation have flown by. I have become friends with the valet parking attendant as well as my four technicians. Today I gave the techs muffins and cupcakes. When they finished they hugged me. Then I went to meet with the doctor who sees me every Tuesday.

She told me I am doing really well and though I have some skin irritation it has so far been very manageable. The discomfort will peak this weekend but I don't think it will be bad. Though fatigue can be a side effect, I have had great energy.  When she finished her quick examination, she went to get me more of her special creams and honey patches I use on my skin. That is when I started to weep, overcome with emotion. Her resident immediately got me tissues and when she got back in the room she gave me some too. I felt overwhelmed to have reached this day after almost nine months, and don't think I can even process all my feelings yet.

The tradition upon completing radiation is to ring a special bell in the hall and that is what I did as hard as I could. It was funny that two of the receptionists came running to give me and another woman who was finishing big hugs which is what they do when they hear the bell. It is like a graduation!

Jeff and I went out for a drink tonight because he wanted to mark this day with a special celebration. I am filled with gratitude to have made it through all of this. Thank you to  my wonderful husband, my daughters, son in laws and my five cuties and to my family and dear friends, everyone on Team Savta. Your caring support, phone calls, emails, cards, care packages, mahjong games, rides and companionship has kept me going more than you can every know.

Thank you also to my faithful blog readers. Your comments and encouragement have helped me so much. To date my blog statistics are almost 2500 pageviews!

My hope is that as time goes on I will be able to take what I have learned in the past nine months and use the experience in a positive and meaningful way.

Though my future blogs will no longer be about "my detour,"I would like to continue with occasional pieces about travel or other musings. As a writer, I enjoy the blog format and hope you will continue to follow my work.  I am hoping to also develop a web site where I can showcase some of my poetry and short stories.

All the best for a happy spring and if you celebrate, have a great Passover.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for completing this overwhelming course of treatment! Thank you for sharing your detour with us and allowing us to be your cheering section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAHOOO!!!

    we are so proud of you Joanne!

    ReplyDelete