Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Almost Paradise

Just hit the four week marker from my last chemo. My immune system should be getting back to normal and stronger. However last Friday I came down with a virus. Fortunately it is not the full blown flu, a that has hit so many people. Anything I pick up now is a bit more worrisome, but today I feel like I am on the mend and do not have any fever. I saw my doctor yesterday, and he said to wait until tomorrow to decide to see how I am doing.

I had already kissed off our trip to Maui. We are supposed to leave on Friday and I had resigned myself  that this trip was just not happening. Today so far I see that we might still go and if I can get through the day with no fever or other symptoms popping up, things  are looking up. Jeff and I are rather laid back about all this for two reasons. We have been through so much in the last months that Maui or no Maui doesn't seem that important. We were also smart and took out insurance for this trip which we normally don't do.

Before I got the virus, I was doing great and starting to get back to exercise at my club. I even took my first zumba class last Friday but couldn't get through the whole class. I attributed it to not being fully back to my pre-chemo strength and endurance but I know now that the virus was brewing. By the time I got back from class, I had chills and had to rest in bed.

I keep looking for signs that I am getting back to my old self. Every day I check in the mirror for new fringe. I am really looking forward to my hair starting to come back in the next weeks. I will also enjoy my new eyebrows and eyelashes. I wish I could speed up that process, but it will take time. How I have learned from this whole ordeal. Pre-chemo the thought of being bald seemed devastating, but once I was enveloped in the difficulties of the chemo and the unexpected side effects, baldness went way down on my list of concerns. In face it became irrelevant.

It is fun to think of whether my  new hair will be a different color or texture which sometimes happens.  Between my wigs, caps, hats,creative head coverings and  a little make up, I have managed well and tried to look my best.

Radiation will start later in February. Some of you have offered to drive a day to SF.I will put out an email later when I know my schedule. I have also figured out the best BART/Muni schedule to SF.

I will keep you posted...next blog from Maui (or Oakland!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment