Friday, January 16, 2015

Back to Life

It is good to feel I am getting back to somewhat of a normal life again. This week for the first time in months I got together with my mahjong crew to spend a fun afternoon. I am a latecomer to mahjong and only took it up in the last couple of years. Many of my friends have been playing for a long time and urged me to learn the game but I resisted. I kept associating it with gossipy old ladies sitting around  a card table, but I have been pleasantly and surprisingly proved wrong.

I find the game to be challenging, and I am still learning strategy. Every year the particular card,   with the various hands we try to make, changes so it keeps the game fresh. The best part is getting together with friends catching up on what everyone is doing and having some laughs. Some days I can't win a single game and other days I am "lucky." That is how it goes. The past months with my debilitating chemo, I was not able to play so I am delighted to be back.

I had another check up with my oncologist whom I now don't have to see for four months (yeah!). Another part of my treatment plan, besides the surgery,  the chemotherapy and the upcoming radiation is a drug that I have started taking. It is part of a special class of drugs to further fight the cancer. It is a tiny pill but like everything can have side effects. So far, so good... I am doing well with it. However, it does cause bone weakening so the doctor said I need to have a special bone strengthening infusion every six months.

 I had it today and went up to one of the infusion centers again. It was the same place I had my last chemo and I was hoping not to be in those rooms again but I needed to get this treatment. It was only fifteen minutes, and I was glad to leave there for hopefully a long time.

This week I also took advantage of two of the services the breast cancer center at UCSF provides as resources for cancer patients. I attended a class on nutrition last  Wednesday night and Jeff shlepped along with me. It was very worthwhile and gave me some guidelines for nutrition to further enhance my recovery The recommended diet is heavily plant based meaning my diet should be primarily vegetables and fruits with small amounts of meats, poultry, dairy products. With the effects of chemo, sometimes just eating anything at all, chicken soup, ice cream or oatmeal was the most I could stomach and salads and fruits and vegetables have not been palatable.

There are many studies and theories for post cancer patients and I suppose the path of moderation is still the best way to go. I will try to cut down on sugar which will be a challenge since I have a serious sweet tooth. One of the class participants asked about alcohol. Here also moderation seems to be the most important guideline (Yikes, no one wants to give up everything enjoyable!!) One article I read say no soy but the nutritionist encouraged soy so I am back to tofu. I found out that I need to take regular calcium and Vitamin D.

Ii also met with an exercise counselor this week. She does nothing but work with cancer patients and this too was very interesting and helpful. The bottom line is that I need to get active again and try to do something, even just walking, almost on a daily basis. She also recommended balance exercises strength training and taking time for relaxation. Fortunately I belong to a gym which has everything I need.It just requires me to get off my tuches and go there. She said that the zumba class that I had been taking before I started chemo was terrific and hit many of the areas that I need to work on.

What I realized this week is that cancer recovery is a serious business, and I need to be an active participant in seeking the proper  nutrition as well as maintaining my exercise program. My best exercise this week was taking my grandson Shaya for a long walk . He was a little doll and was chilling in his stroller enjoying his neighborhood and not making a peep during our walk.Walking with him also counts towards my daily exercise!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are on the road to recovery and can enjoy life again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you love and support Zeema. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete