Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Adding Insult to Injury...

I thought I had it figured out...strong will, good health, family support. I could sail through the chemo treatments. It's much more difficult than I thought.

The week started out with my port implanted on Monday, Sept. 15. It was a small surgery and went fine. At first it pulled a bit but now I don't even notice it at all. The port will be used both to draw blood and for the administration of the chemo drugs.

Tuesday, Sept. 16 was my first infusion day. I met with my oncologist. The usual pattern will be to check my blood, meet with the oncologist then have the infusion. My white count has to be a certain level for the infusion to take place. The oncologist was optimistic that I'm strong and should do well through the treatments.

The actual infusion was on the fifth floor of the breast cancer center. I didn't know what to expect and was apprehensive. Jeff was right there with me though I sent him out after a while. The room was not large and I wanted him to have some fresh air.  The nurse who worked with me was calm, confident and competent. I was in the corner of a room with three other patients of different ages, some much younger than me having their own infusions.

I was sitting in a chair with my feet up.  The first medicines administered were solely to prevent nausea. They are meant to last the first few days when you are home with backup meds that I also had ready to take as needed. They really don't want you to feel bad and prepare you with an arsenal of meds.

After the first hour of the anti nausea medicines, she started the chemo drugs. My chemo is a three part cocktail. The first two parts are given for the first four infusions. The last part is given for the last four infusions. I felt OK during the infusion and when it was all over,  Jeff and I left the hospital and headed home.

The day after the infusion I need to have very expensive shot which can be administered at home. This is to raise the white cell count. Jeff was a medic in the army and thought he could do it. The first time though we went to our friend's home as he is a doctor and he showed Jeff.

All in all I'm doing OK now having weathered the first tough days. I'm trying to go for short walks eat small meals and do everything they tell me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I just feel like crap. I'm also emotional and cry easily. Jeff is my cheerleader as are my family and friends who call and check up on me or send emails.

Yesterday, six days from chemo I decided to go to Safeway on my own. I felt OK, got in the car and was proud of myself cruising through Safeway buying this and that. In some ways going through chemo is like being pregnant. You don't know what you want to eat or what might taste good at the moment. One day I liked Frito's corn chips... I guess it was the.salt and crunch. I had made some nutritious soups for myself in advance and they all seem yucky to me right now.

Back to my shopping...I noticed a girl in her twenties, as we kept running into each other in the same aisle and space. It struck me as a little odd but I wasn't completely on my game. I had my purse on the top of the cart and left it unzipped. The girl and I met again in front of the spaghetti sauce. She reached in front of me for Alfredo sauce. I even made a friendly remark like "I'm always in your way." That was when she stole my new leather wallet.

I realized it was missing when I went to pay. I rushed home and looked around. I thought I might have forgotten it but didn't find it anywhere. I returned to the store and paid with my checkbook. I have to say that the Safeway staff was not very caring of my situation and  my very flustered state.

My cousin Roz called when I just got home and told me to look at some of my credit cards. I still couldn't confirm whether I misplaced my wallet or it was stolen. However after checking my bank card I saw that my card had been used already at Target,  Ross and McDonald's.
Ouch I realized that this was a professional team who knew how to move fast.
Jeff had come home after I had called him. He pointed out that as long as I was OK, everything could be replaced. He was just concerned about me. Laurie also came to help and brought  my little adorable grandson, Shaya. You can't stay mad when you hold him and he smiles at you.

I cancelled everything and was pretty crazed until I got it all done. Jeff kept saying, "that's my wife. She's back!" However, yesterday evening after all the upset I was spent and realized I had not taken care of myself at all.When you are undergoing chemo, you need to drink and eat and rest.

Today is another day and I'm feeling good. I have a brisket marinating and a chicken soup on the stove. I answered a half dozen phone calls from family and dear friends. Your caring means so much I can't even tell you. Wishing everyone a sweet and healthy new year. And ladies, be careful with your purses and wallets!

No comments:

Post a Comment