Friday, September 12, 2014

Hair and stuff

I keep thinking about the words from the song, Hair.

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining,gleaming, screaming, flaxen waxen

We were children of the 60's and liked our hair, the longer the better. My college roommates had hair half way down their backs. Mine went past my shoulders.I have always had good thick hair, straight and easy to manage. I didn't have to sleep in soup can rollers or iron my hair to have it be straight. My natural color was a "dirty blonde." When I was a teen, some summers I liberally applied lemon juice. As I got older and my hair got darker, I added highlights or whatever it took to keep my same color more or less. 

Over the years my hair went through many incarnations according to what was au courant. I've been permed,  had a cut like Dorothy Hamill, the ice skater; Lady Di, or whomever was trendy.Having stylish hair was important to me.

One of the things I dread most when thinking about chemotherapy is the thought of losing my hair. It is one of the expected side effects of chemo because the chemicals that kill fast growing potential cancer cells also decimate hair follicles. That is why I decided to cheat the cancer and get my hair cut short on my own terms. Even though there is some potential prevention of hair loss now with cold caps  my oncologist said they wouldn't work for me.

My short cut is an interim stage before I go completely bald. My hairdresser, Rebecca, who is a master cutter, knew just what to do with me. She also understood the emotional aspect of this haircut especially because she went through the cancer treatment roller coaster recently with her teenage son. Laurie and my grandson Shaya come along as cheerleaders. You can't be sad when you see Shaya smile. He is the sweetest little guy, and his hair is spiked. I wanted to look like him!

I also decided to purchase a wig  as well as a variety of colorful hair coverings including paisley scarves and a burgundy turban thing. My sister Linda and my cousin Roz, who is like my older sister and our family fashion consultant, joined me. We went to the gift shop at Mt. Zion which has a wig section as well as sells stylish head coverings for women undergoing chemo. 

Now I will be one of them, joining this army of bald warriors. The three of us had a few good laughs when I tried on wigs that were awful on me, either the wrong color for my skin or not the right look. We settled on a wig that was similar to my hair color and was very natural for me.

What is it about hair, especially for women? We fuss over our hair and if we are having a "bad hair day" it can effect our mood. I don't know how I'm going to feel when that morning comes in a few weeks and my cute short cut starts to shed on my pillow. Jeff says he is going to like me bald. He thinks bald is sexy. That's my Jeff. He is incredibly supportive and devoted  and with me every step of the way, hair or no hair.

I just had a major orientation session with a nurse from the oncology department who gave me an overview of what to expect during my eight chemo treatments. It was overwhelming and thankfully my sister was with me. Linda took detailed notes and since she is a Doctor of Pharmacy, her presence was invaluable. I think I mostly listened, shell shocked at this whole process about to unfold. Even if I do everything right, there might be side effects. Once again I am learning that I have no control. The nurse told me how important it will be to keep up exercise, even walking every day for a half hour and other important things I must do.

Monday I will have a port put in which will make the delivery of the chemo easier. Tuesday is my first infusion. I've got great music in my i-Phone. I'm not sure what the best music is for chemo...mellow or rock. I've got both. My Kindle is loaded with good books. I will bring my book of Tehilim, psalms.They are very comforting.

And once again, the support and love of family, extended family and friends everywhere is overwhelming. The editor I work with in Adelaide Australia is sending me a special book he ordered for me. I got a call from Israel this week from an old  friend, just to say "hi" and check in. My niece and nephew in Los Angeles are so sweet and caring. I feel very blessed.

Thanks for coming along with me. Hold on to your hats, the road could start to get bumpy.


No comments:

Post a Comment